Know the early signs of dyslexia. If your child can't do most of the list below by age 5 1/2 - 6, screening for dyslexia is important:
- Name all the letters of the alphabet.
- Know the sounds of almost all the letters of the alphabet.
- Understands that the sequence of letters in a written word represents the sequence of sounds in the spoken word.
- Begins to decode (sound out) simple words.
- Recognises a growing number of common words by sight (you, my, are, is, the).
- Uses invented spelling, such as writing 'krr' for 'car'.
- Writes many upper and lowercase letters.
- Writes his or her own name (first and last).
(from "Overcoming Dyslexia", Sally Shaywitz).